Beauty Store Business

MAR 2015

For beauty business news, beauty store owners turn to Beauty Store Business. Beauty business trends, beauty business profiles and more!

Issue link: http://beautystorebusiness.epubxp.com/i/458131

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 11 of 79

10 March 2015 | beautystorebusiness.com What's next for the business? Currently, we're in 52 countries with one or several of our brands, and our target is to be in 80 by the end of 2017. I think we'll definitely hit that. Export sales make up about 28% of our total sales right now, which is a wonderful achievement. As far as products, within every brand, there are new SKUs being launched all the time—that's the nature of the beauty industry. Within Bodyography, we're launching a silk cream foundation range and a liquid liner in the first quarter, as well as a spring collection. In the Pro- Rituals haircare brand, we're launching a product called Heat Styling Protection and a Brightener color series—strong pigmented dyes for hair color. We've also come out with a firm-hold hair spray, a revised formula called Mega Hold. In the dry shampoo category, we're launching a new scent, vanilla. In Marilyn Brush, we're launching a new and improved Jeli Ceramica series, and a brush called Thermal Kiss. In Omega Labs, our nail brand, we're launching a series of new and exciting polish shades and have just launched a new cuticle oil. The Twirler will be launching in March. Phase one will have a Classic and a Thermal brush that can retain heat. The plan with The Twirler is to expand into different fun colors, dif- ferent sizes. I think it's a brush brand that will have several SKUs. What categories or products have been most successful for you, and how do you keep on top of them all? For us, the cosmetic category has shown the biggest growth. Dry shampoo as a category has shown tremendous growth. Ten years ago there were maybe one or two brands on the market, but now almost every haircare line has a dry shampoo. Skin care has grown a lot, but it's very competitive; there are a lot of brands out there. Now we do cross-promoting between the different brands. Often we'll have a promotion where you buy something and get another brand for 50% off or for free. As far as keeping up with trends, we leave that to the brands' creative directors—Lori with Bodyography, Ter- rence with ProRituals, Anita with our nail brands. They come up with new products and promotions, and handle the education with our team of educators. We definitely count on these folks to make it all happen. They all attend shows and seminars and do a lot of research. For example, Lori is a makeup artist herself and loves the indus- try. She eats, sleeps and drinks makeup! Would you please tell us about the private-label side of your business? That comprises about 10% of our total sales now, and it includes categories such as skin care, nail polish, nail files and dry shampoo. I can't mention whom we manufacture for because we have confidentiality agreements, but some of these are the largest retail chains in their distribution channels in the United States. We also do our own nail-polish mixing and filling in our Garden Grove, Califor- nia, facility, which seems to be growing pretty rapidly in terms of the private- label contracts we're getting there. The newest division we've started in Robanda is our amenities division, which has been running two years. This is a totally separate division within Robanda, headed up by Mike Dunlap, who works out of Dallas and is a veteran in the ame- nities industry. For us, it's a very exciting division because the hotel-bathroom ame- nity market is huge. There are hundreds of thousands of hotel rooms in this country. We've started to get some good contracts nationwide, both for three of our own brands and on the private-label side of the business, for hotels that want their own logos on products. It's fun because it's a new challenge. The entry into this category is not easy because so many companies have been doing it for many years and margins are pretty slim, but it's a huge industry. Do you have any advice on how beauty retailers can increase their sales? Within most of our brands, and certainly Bodyography, we come out with tiny intro displays. They're really small, hold- ing six to 24 pieces. They can easily go by the cash register for impulse buys. We feel so many stores miss the oppor- tunity of that customer standing by the cash register who will make an impulse buy if the product is there. So we make those available, and our reps and dis- tributors offer them to stores. I'm always surprised when I walk into a beauty store or salon and see a completely clear counter right by the cash register. Think about how many people are standing there every single day and would more than likely pick up something if it's nicely displayed at the register! I'd love to see stores rotating products at the register every month, making them look attractive "We feel so many stores miss the opportunity of that customer standing by the cash register who will make an impulse buy if the product is there." ProRituals global artistic director Terrence Renk runs the haircare brand's training and educational academy in San Diego. Continued on page 68 All images courtesy of Robanda International

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Beauty Store Business - MAR 2015