Beauty Store Business

JUL 2017

Beauty Store Business provides solutions for better retailing! New products, industry news, savvy business moves and important trends affecting both brick-and-mortar and online retailers are included in each issue.

Issue link: http://beautystorebusiness.epubxp.com/i/833640

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 69 of 111

68 July 2017 | beautystorebusiness.com THE BIRTH OF THE BRAND Interestingly, it was inconvenience that led Hoffman to the "aha moment" that birthed the Lisa Hoffman fragrance jew- elry collection in 2011. Hoffman had spent the day fragrance testing when she decided that she wanted to head to a Pilates class. She was not looking for- ward to walking into her class covered in perfume. She recalls thinking to herself, "If only there were a way I could put on and take off my perfume, as I do jewelry, without letting it wear off or showering it off in between." That same day, she happened to be wearing a pair of Victorian earrings given to her by her husband. She says, "The earrings were unique because they were diamonds, but the diamonds were completely hidden by metal, charm-like cages. In the Victorian era, it was not considered proper to expose your fine gems during the day, so the cages would hide the jewels until the evening." That day, fate was sealed for the Lisa Hoffman brand, as Hoffman thought, "What if the treasure inside the jewelry was a fragrance instead of a gem? That way I could put on my perfume and take it off as I wanted." Hoffman spent close to a year developing the offerings. A variety of materials were explored for the perfume delivery system, from ceramic to stone and plastic, before determining that wood fragrance beads would best hold the integrity of the scents. From there, her proprietary fragrance beads were developed, along with the filigree designs that would hold them. "Although fragrance-carrying jewelry has been around for centuries, my propri- etary eco-friendly fragrance beads are a modern and innovative iteration. The filigree design on the charm allows air to dis- perse the fragrance from the beads, which frees women to wear fragrance without it touching their skin or clothing," Hoffman says. "This solves a multitude of problems, including allowing women with allergies and skin sensitivities to wear perfume." Today, Lisa Hoffman has offerings in four scent families: woodsy, floral, fresh and sweet. Its Destination Collection of fragrances features eight different eau de parfum scents, such as Madagascar Orchid, an exotic, floral fragrance; Tunisian Neroli, a floral scent described as seduc- tive and alluring; and the zesty, warm and invigorating best-selling scent Japanese Agarwood, which is one of the brand's first fragrances and is Fifi-nominated. "Japanese Agarwood is a particularly evocative scent for me because it reminds me of walking through beautiful, austere, enormous Buddhist temples in Japan with large incense burners wafting incredibly fragrant smoke," Hoffman says. "Agar- wood is often used as incense, and the scent is supposed to encourage intro- spection." Notes of bergamot, ginger and amber were included to add brightness and warmth, "but ultimately, for me, the scent of Japanese Agarwood acts as a spiritual reminder to take a moment and breathe." Several different filigree charms are available in silver and gold designs, and are featured among a growing number of her fragrance jewelry collections, includ- ing Wanderlust, Laurel, Hemisphere, Friendship and Voyager. The brand has also featured limited-edition rose gold, and rose gold and diamond designs. The bracelets, as a category, by far, feature the largest variety of designs, from cuff and chain links to a host of beaded options. Whatever the style, each piece of jewelry discreetly holds the brand's proprietary fragrance beads, derived from sustainably harvested conifer trees. The wood is spun with undiluted fine fragrance oil, via the brand's propri- etary manufacturing process, to create a labyrinth-like structure of air pockets that allow the fragrance to slowly bloom to the surface, Hoffman explains. "We have an exclusive partnership with the bead manufacturer," she says. "Encasing our fragrant beads within intri- cate charms ensures the fragrance isn't altered by your natural body chemistry." Aside from using eco-friendly beads, the brand is conscious of not engaging in practices that disrupt the environment. So, it has chosen to use headspace technology to create its more exotic fragrance notes. Headspace technology allows a perfumer to develop a scent that, in its natural form, is essentially unavailable. Hoffman explains, "For example, the Madagascar Orchid is rare and found deep in the jungle. To source the fragrance, one would have to disrupt the rainforest to harvest the orchid. Instead, headspace technology allows us to capture the gas of the fragrance without hurting the plant, which is then recreated safely in a lab. Like taking a photo of it instead of picking it. It's pretty cool and so much better for the environment." The oils used to embed fragrance into the beads are also all natural. And, of course, its traditional eau de parfums are alcohol-based. "Encasing our fragrant beads within intricate charms ensure the fragrance isn't altered by your natural body chemistry." Lisa Hoffman Lisa Hoffman's fragrance jewelry line includes bracelets, cuffs, necklaces and earrings, scented with wooden beads.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Beauty Store Business - JUL 2017