Beauty Store Business

JUN 2015

For beauty business news, beauty store owners turn to Beauty Store Business. Beauty business trends, beauty business profiles and more!

Issue link: http://beautystorebusiness.epubxp.com/i/508410

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 61 of 75

60 June 2015 | beautystorebusiness.com News GLOBALSHOP & IRCE PARTNER TO OFFER "BRICKS & CLICKS" PROJECT IN 2016 GlobalShop—the world's largest annual event for retail design and shopper marketing—took place March 24-26 in Las Vegas with nearly a 13% growth in exhibitors and a 6% jump in qualified buyer attendance, compared to 2014. Also, GlobalShop has announced a collaboration with the world's largest ecommerce event, the Internet Retailer Conference + Exhibition, for both of their 2016 events. GlobalShop's parent company, Emerald Expositions, also owns IRCE. The new project, titled "Bricks & Clicks," will highlight the new realities for retail and the heightened expectations of consumers for the seamless integration of online into the in-store space. The Centerpiece exhibit will converge digital and physical retail spaces into a fully-designed retail environment. GlobalShop 2016 is scheduled for March 23-25 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas. IRCE 2016 is set for June 7-10 at McCormick Place West in Chicago. ■ FEDERAL BILL INTRODUCED ON OVERSIGHT OF PERSONAL-CARE PRODUCTS On April 20, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California) introduced and U.S. Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) co-sponsored the Personal Care Products Safety Act, which they say will protect consumers and streamline industry compliance by strengthening the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's authority to regulate ingredients in personal-care products. The introduction of the 98-page bill is the first step in a lengthy legislative process—one that has seen bills affecting personal-care products and their manufacturers fail in past years. One trade association in the beauty business—the Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors—has stated its opposition to this bill as it is. "From shampoo to lotion, the use of personal-care products is widespread, however, there are very few protections in place to ensure their safety," says Senator Feinstein. "Europe has a robust system, which includes consumer protections [such as] product registration and ingredient reviews. I am pleased to be introducing this bipartisan legislation with Senator Collins that will require [the] FDA to review chemicals used in these products and provide clear guidance on their safety." Senator Collins adds, "I am pleased to be working with Senator Feinstein on legislation to modernize [the FDA's] regulation of cosmetics and personal-care products, which are widely used by consumers—often on a daily basis. By improving FDA oversight of the ingredients in cosmetics and personal-care products, this legislation aims to protect consumers while also providing regulatory certainty for manufacturers, enabling them to plan for the future." If passed, the bill would require the FDA to evaluate a minimum of five ingredients per year to determine their safety and appropriate use. The first set for review includes diazolidinyl urea, lead acetate, methylene glycol/formaldehyde, propyl paraben and Quaternium-15. The review process detailed in the bill would provide companies with guidance about whether ingredients should continue to be used and, if so, what the concentration levels should be and whether consumer warnings are needed. The act would also: • Provide the FDA the authority to order recalls of certain personal-care products that threaten consumer safety • Provide the FDA the authority to require labeling of products that include ingredients not appropriate for children and those that should be for professional-use only. Complete label information, including ingredients and product warnings, would also be required to be posted online • Require companies to provide contact information on their products for consumers and report serious adverse events to the FDA within 15 days, including death, hospitalization and disfigurement. Health effects that could have resulted in hospitalization without early intervention would also be required to be reported • Require manufacturers to register annually with the FDA and provide the agency with information on the ingredients used in their personal-care products • Direct the FDA to issue regulations on Good Manufacturing Practices for personal-care products To fund these new oversight activities, the bill—as written now—would authorize the FDA to collect user fees from personal care-product manufacturers, similar to what's done for medications and medical devices. ICMAD opposes the bill as currently drafted because it "places too large a burden on small business, stifles innovation in the cosmetics and personal-care industry, and does not provide appropriate and significant national uniformity," according to ICMAD officials. Pam Busiek, ICMAD CEO, states, "ICMAD has a long track record of working with federal regulators to promote product safety, honor the best science in our industry, and advance small businesses that innovate and provide jobs. We admire Senator Feinstein's sincere efforts toward these goals, and we welcome her partnership. However, the approach taken in this legislation is in conflict with these goals." TM FACE + B O DY 12198 Ve n t u r a B l vd s ui t e 2 0 8 St u d i o Ci t y , CA 916 04 ( 818 ) 4 54 - 4 517 w w w. s p r a yd i s o l e . co m Yo uTu b e : THE SUNLES S CH ANNEL In s ta g r a m : @ s p r a yd i s o l e Tw i t t e r : @ s p r a yd i s o l e _ LA * No Alcohols * No Perfumes * No Oils * No Odors * No Parabens * No Orange * Even Fading * Vegan * Goes on even * No streaking * No messy hands * Soft, non-shedding synthetic bristles * Hand Made THE ORIGINAL B R U S H ON TA N A Sunless Skin Treatment with the Benefits of the Per fect Tan Kabuki Body Brush

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Beauty Store Business - JUN 2015