Beauty Store Business

JAN 2017

Beauty Store Business provides solutions for better retailing! New products, industry news, savvy business moves and important trends affecting both brick-and-mortar and online retailers are included in each issue.

Issue link: http://beautystorebusiness.epubxp.com/i/760938

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 35 of 107

34 January 2017 | beautystorebusiness.com This is not the first time Jinny United has looked to expand its reach. After decades of success in the multicultural/ ethnic beauty supply category, the cor- poration launched Beauty Logica in 2014 to target the general market (see our sidebar at right). Though operating under a different name, Beauty Logica is able to use Jinny's existing resources to reach a new audience. "We thought that by creating a new name and a new marketing strategy, it would attract a different type of customer—and it has," says Jennifer Jhin, vice president of marketing for Beauty Logica. Today, Beauty Logica offers retail- ers more than 6,000 products from hundreds of general-market brands, including O.P.I., Sebastian and Roux. Through Jinny Beauty Supply's vast distribution network, Beauty Logica can also provide the same fast service to customers across the nation. "We can reach any customer within one to two business days—which is unheard of in this industry," Jennifer says. STAYING FLEXIBLE In addition to its multiple locations, Jinny United's longevity in the multicultural beauty market affords it other advan- tages. Having a presence in multiple regions means having a bird's eye view of up and coming trends. The distribu- tor's established name helps attract new brands, as well. "We are always actively seeking new brands," Eddie says. "At the same time, there are a lot of manufactur- ers or vendors who come to us." By keeping abreast of beauty trends and hot new local brands, Jinny Beauty Supply helps retailers do the same. "In the beauty industry, everything changes really quickly," Eddie says. The constant turnover of trends can often work to smaller retail- ers' advantage, especially when competing with larger chains or even Amazon.com. Eddie notes that these bigger companies may have broader reach, but their internal process to bring on a new product from a popular local brand, for instance, can be much slower. Eddie says this means larger chains tend to bring on products when they are at their plateau. "They usually take it to a different level, but by that time, we're already on something new again," Eddie says. "Sometimes, we're almost 18 months ahead of the curve." That flexibility is important on the retail side as well. For a fresh perspec- tive, Eddie advises retailers to study the industry outside their own specific region for inspiration. "Let's say you live in Los Angeles," Eddie explains. "I think it's important that you visit places like Chicago, New York and Miami. You'll see what is happening in those regions is different from what is happening in L.A." "As the population is changing, I'm seeing that younger people don't want to be typecast in the multicultural category or strictly the Caucasian category." ÑJennifer Jhin Photography by Armando Sanchez, center image: courtesy of Jinny United Jennifer Jhin Beauty Logica, the newest Jinny United company, brings the parent company's established expertise in distribution to the general-beauty market. Based in Chicago, Beauty Logica offers retailers both here and abroad more than 6,000 products from 250 companies. Jennifer Jhin, daughter of Jinny United founder Tae H. Jhin, launched Beauty Logica in 2014. The vice president of marketing recently spoke with Beauty Store Business about the growing company and the crossover between the general- and multicultural-beauty markets. BSB: How did growing up in the beauty business prepare you to launch Beauty Logica? Jennifer Jhin: Beauty Logica is targeting the general market, as opposed to the multicultural/ethnic market. So, that part is new, but because my father started this company, I grew up seeing a lot of these faces in the industry. I grew up around all of the products. When I came on to start Beauty Logica, it just came kind of naturally to me because I already knew the industry. It honestly feels like family to me. Why did you choose the name Beauty Logica? JJ: Jinny is known to be the number one distributor in the multicultural/ethnic market. We felt that we needed to give the general market side a completely different name, so that people don't automatically associate us with having only multicultural products. Are you focusing on specific regions at this time? JJ: We're hitting the entire country, and we have customers abroad, too, in Asia, the Middle East and Canada. Our field office is centrally located in Chicago, but because we have distribution centers located all over the country, it's really easy for us to reach our customers faster. What do your customers like most about Beauty Logica? JJ: What really sets us apart—and what I'm very proud of—is that our sales representatives are extremely customer-service oriented. When there's a problem, we take care of it immediately. Our sales reps are knowledgeable, they're friendly and all they want to do is help our customers. How do you reach out to customers? JJ: A fun thing we do is send our top customers VIP boxes. These are quarterly sample kits of products that are new, seasonal or just items that we think our customers would enjoy. With each box, we include a handwritten note, just to make sure that our customers know that we appreciate them. Are you seeing more overlap between the general and multicultural beauty markets today? JJ: A lot of our general-market consumers are asking for more multicultural types of products, which is nice because the population is changing. There are so many people across ethnicities that have similar types of hair, so it's more about the texture of the hair than the culture of the person. For instance, Caucasian people with extremely curly/wavy hair could use a crossover brand like SheaMoisture. So, we're relabeling things a bit to appeal to both audiences. In our 2017 catalog, we will be using the term "multitextural" for these products. As the population is changing, I'm seeing that younger people don't want to be typecast in the multicultural category or strictly the Caucasian category. There are products out there, thankfully, that appeal to both.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Beauty Store Business - JAN 2017