Beauty Store Business

JAN 2018

Beauty Store Business provides solutions for better retailing! New products, industry news, savvy business moves and important trends affecting both brick-and-mortar and online retailers are included in each issue.

Issue link: http://beautystorebusiness.epubxp.com/i/913903

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 35 of 91

A strategy built on great service, omnichannel sales and curated, upscale boutiques have positioned Cos Bar as a top destination for luxury beauty. By Karen Wilhelmsen Cos Bar's CEO, David Olsen T oday's cosmetics junkies have endless options to find what they need, but it's hard to imagine that just over 40 years ago, department stores and drugstores were about the only places to find beauty products. This was a reality for Lily Garfield, the driven, forward-thinking founder and co-chairman of Cos Bar, established in Aspen, Colorado, in 1976. Living in a dry climate at an altitude of 8,000 feet, Garfield recognized a need for quality skin care, which wasn't accessible. "I saw how fast your skin can age," she says. A former Bloomingdale's account executive, she applied her knowledge of the industry to do something that was quite radical at the time: she opened a beauty store. However, Garfield sought to create something different than what she experienced at the beauty counter of department stores. "I have seen everything in a department store–the greediness, the aggressiveness, the 'Don't go near my counter,' 'Don't try my perfumes'; Bloomingdale's back then was the epitome of everything I didn't like," she says. Luxury beauty without the competitive sales environment became her aim. 34 January 2018 | beautystorebusiness.com RAISING the BAR

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Beauty Store Business - JAN 2018